Tuesday, August 18, 2009

A Few More Thoughts

I am sitting in a meeting room in the capitol, Gabs at a training.  All the 'Life Skills' volunteers are together so Katie and I are apart. :-(  We are apart for 2 weeks then together for 3 days then she has training for 2 weeks and I go back to the village.  Time apart is nice but 4 weeks in too much.  Here are some more thoughts:
  1. Kids and computers-wow, ground zero.  Its like the first man and fire.
  2. I was going to make a cup from a cow skull-the brain cavity, I heard it could be done.  But when I checked the first skull, a mouse ran out. Then I thought, I'll save this for another day...my walk to work is like a bone yard.
  3. Motswana people point with their eyes.
  4. I just watched Paco piss on a toy I made him right in front of me in my front lawn then go on playing with it. (this happened twice, marking his toys?)
  5. A 16 year old girl would sneak out of the school hostels to meet with her boyfriend in the village.  She said he would be waiting with a cup of hot tea (it was winter time) for her.  That was her reason for sneaking out. This is called 'transactional sex'
  6. Hearing about rape of 15 year old girls and boys, its a hard pill to swallow.
  7. Animals; horses and donkeys have their front legs tied together.  I guess this keeps them from wandering too far?
Until next time. We love the comments... 

4 comments:

  1. Maybe Paco didn't like the toy that you made for him. Just kidding man. I still think you should try and make that cup, but good decision on not going with the skull that had the mouse in it. Take care you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been awhile since I have checked your blog but I feel very caught up now on the news! So glad things are working out for you both and give the language time, you'll get it!! I was wondering if there was anything you wanted but hadn't recieved yet bc I am in the process of putting a box together to send to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The last time I was on the phone with Katie she put me on hold and I could hear her speaking Setawana. Like I would know the difference, but I thought she sounded great. Three months to learn a language is a lot. I bet you will writing Setswana novels by the time you leave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucas and Katie - we (HF) got your card and loved hearing from you! We are getting some pictures together and have a card ready to send. What do you need that we could send to you???? We love the updates. What ambassadors you are!!! Love to you both, your Heart HF.

    ReplyDelete