Sunday, August 15, 2010

Wire Car


I had seen kids playing with very detailed and well constructed toys made from wire all around my village and Sub Sahara Africa for that matter. What these genius kids do if they don’t purchase the wire is to cut or bend it until it breaks from some ones fence. My host familie’s fence was missing many parts that were taken by kids to make toys or wire cars. Once they have the wire, they cut then bend it into a part like a bumper or head light for instance. Then they fit the parts together like a puzzle and attach each part by thin copper electrical wire that is wrapped around and around each joint. The wheels are everything from soda can bottoms cut and fitted together, to shoe polish tins, to jelly jar lids. I have seen all models and makes of these wire vehicles. I saw a tractor, a semi with a trailer, cars, monster trucks, but the most extensive was a bus complete with seats and people in them.
I took a liking to the craftsmanship of these cars and mentioned my fascination to Katie one day. She, the lovely wife that she is, found me a kid, Edward, who was a son to one of the ambulances drivers at the Clinic. This kid was a master of making wire cars. I stopped by one day and I asked him if she could teach me how to make wire cars. I provided most of the materials, he provided the craftsmanship. He would bend each piece and I would attach it to the whole with the copper wire. We were a great tag team and I was absolutely happy making this thing and learning the skills it takes.

We worked 2 days before we could call it complete. When it was finished I gave him some candy wrapped with a P10 bill for his hard work. You should have seen his smile. He recently asked me if he could make me a semi with a trailer. I wish I could take one home.
When it was all said and done I had a Toyota Land Cruzer pick-up truck. It was an actual model complete with opening doors with handles and hood, a bed, a box, antenna, complete interior with seats, dash board and a Toyota emblem for the grill in front. Proof of its originality is the steering wheel on the left with a blinker switch on the column and all. The truck can be steered through a simple yet clever steering system. A thick wire bent into the shape of a steering wheel with a long stem reaching into the top of the truck, attaches to the front axle, and allows the kids to walk behind the truck and steer it as they push it along.
Check it out. I love how these kids work with what they have and use what they know to keep themselves busy. Most toys in my village are empty bottles, cans, bags, caps, lids,boxes, rocks, sticks...etc. They get as much joy playing with my set of matchbox cars and their imagination as American kids get when playing the Wii. By the way, thanks Miranda for the matchbox cars. They are slowly finding their way into the mechanics shop or junk yard but the kids still love them even without wheels, lol. If all you know is simplicity, having more just makes you want even more next time.

2 comments:

  1. seems its been a while sense you updated the blog.good to get the latest on life there. its still an adventure and interesting. love you both. and miss you lvoe dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing how they can achieve such art from so little, thanks for sharing, this inspires my next engineering project.

    ReplyDelete