Thursday, April 1, 2010

First Day As a Botswana Science Teacher

My first day went great. I picked up on the unit of light and light properties. These kids had been with out a teacher for several weeks when I asked the science head when I could help. He suggested a full load which is a 6 day rotation, teaching two Form 1 classes, one Form 2 class and one Form 3 class. My Setswana isn’t that good so I went with the one Form 3 class to start. My goal was to do experiments as much as possible and hope they picked it up. First day was me testing what they knew and I found out that they were up to speed in their notebooks but when it came to understanding they knew nothing. I gave some verbal questions and by half way through they could understand me. We did some eye diagram stuff and tried some pupil dilation exercises but nothing worked because it was so bright out and they didn’t know exactly what I wanted. Day 2 was better, more on light, colors and lenses. We ended the class by going outside to burn holes in paper with the magnifying lens. The unfortunate few clouds made it difficult but we ended up getting a few burn holes. It was fun and I could tell they were excited to be outside. I had given them 6 questions for homework over the weekend and Monday. Tuesday came for class number 3 and before I reached my classroom I was stopped by the science department head. He called me to him to tell me, and introduce me to the new science teacher who would be taking the full load of the classes back. It made me so sad to see all my ideas coming to a halt. I told the guy I could finish the light unit and he could start on Friday with the heat energy unit. I introduced him to my class and he went back to the staff room to relax.

My last day, what could I do? I started by asking them to hand up the homework. 3 of 35 students did the homework. (I should have given them candy :) So we went into camera parts, periscope, binoculars and optical viewing tools. Then we got out the microscopes to see who light and lenses and magnification helps us see small things.

Once I learned that the mirror light source and the limited amount of microscopes wasn’t working I had them put them back and be quiet as a prepared the ball toss quiz game. A little thing I picked up when I was teaching in Boone. A paper ball, a bucket, and 3 lines on the floor for the # or points. A correct answer got a chance to shoot. Simple questions and the use of the book gave almost everyone a shot. The bell rang and I offered 1 sweet (candy) to the winning team. Mistake, it was a free for all. Team 1 and 2 both lined up and some started grabing at my small Ziploc of candy. I had to pick and choose who I though was on the winning team. Lesson learned, won’t do it like that again.

1 comment:

  1. Aw, Lucas, so sad about your class being dropped. That would have been such a great experience for you. But since science teachers seem hard to come by (they are in the US that is for sure) you might get another opportunity to "sub". BTW, do you need me to send you a longer tie?

    ReplyDelete