Saturday, April 24, 2010

Dread Locks

You ever had them? You ever wanted them? I had been curious about them for some time before I got to Africa. My curiosity was less about them looking cool and more about what it would be like to have your hair in knots all the time. My experience so far has been mixed. But lets start at the beginning when my hair was long and I was about to cut it off at one point every day. I decided to try dread locks after my shadowing experience with Brent, the guy in the pictures with dreads doing my dreads. He had had them for 6 months by the time I saw him and they looked good and he said they were done by a friend. So I told him I would have them one day. On January 5th 2010 I had my hair dreaded by Brent and Katie under the influence of a cocktail and a pain killer. You wouldn’t believe how much that backcombing hurts. The first night was separating my hair into 60 some odd pony tails and early the next morning the dreading started. It was an 8 hour+ experience with many breaks in the middle.
The short of things is that having dread locks is a lot of work with out the benifits of ever running your fingers through your hair. But they do look and feel cool. It's one of those experiences I've always wanted to try and now I have. But I did get to dread the hair of another voluteer. She had long hair and after having mine I took a lot of pride in making hers good.


No comments:

Post a Comment