Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Ready For Shadowing

Lesedi (katie) is headed south west about 2 hours to a village called Werda on the South Africa boarder. Kabo (me) is going north east to the Zimbabwe boarder just above Francistown to a village called Maitengwe where they speak a different language known as Kunga. I think that's how you spell it. We are both really excited for a new change of scenery and maybe see the country a little bit. They help us get to our shadowing site but on the way back it's up to us and the Setswana we have been learning. 'Base ya Molepolole ke efe?' Which bus to Molepolole? We are learning and practicing with each other.
Food: Last night we ate chicken intestines...yum..well..not so much. Our host brother said they were very, very good with rice. So we gave them a shot. They have the consistency of calamari and the taste of chicken intestines. Not too bad, I ate all of mine and most of the rice. The meals were the same for the first week. Boiled cabbage, a huge portion of starch (rice, phaletshe 'corn whites', somp, or beans or beans with somp), and a piece of chicken. We would get it for dinner and I really like it and then we would have left overs for lunch the next day. I like it but not twice a day for several days straight. So we cooked one nigh. Mom's meat loaf and mashed potatoes with slices tomatoes as a little extra. They loved the meat loaf but the mashed potatoes didn't have the same hit. It might have been the margarine. We plan on making french toast, some kind of pizza, mac-and-cheese, if any one has easy recipes or a suggestion of what to make pleas comment. We love reading comments.
The training and cultural classes are very informative. We did a class on HIV/AIDS today learning a little bit about how HIV is spread specifically in Botswana. The point of the lesson was to show that unprotected sex with multiple concurrent partners is by far the major contributor to the viruses spread. We are digging more into the topic and how to work with it in a culturally acceptable way.
I better be going, we have to do laundry...in a bucket, pack and sleep some before our bus picks us up at 3:30am tomorrow. Next time I update I will try to get some pictures on. My camera is being fixed thanks to my father in law Cameron and we blew Katie's batery charger for hers when we put 240v into her 120v charger. Life happens. We are having the time of our lives and we get to share it together. More updates to come, Lucas

4 comments:

  1. I'm not sure what they have there as far as groceries, but it seems they like chicken and beans. I would suggest chicken enchiladas or burritos with beans and rice. Or maybe a tortilla pie. It's not American but its tasty. Miss you! I love to hear about what you are doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey guys,
    I just checked in for the first time today. It's great to hear that everything is going well so far! I can't wait to see some pics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Lasadi and Kabo!
    We love reading the updates and keeping informed on what you are up to. Sounds like things are going well. We just wanted you to know that ya'll are in our thoughts and prayers.
    Eat some chicken intestines for us... we are going to Cafe Portifino!
    Love ya,
    Jake, Katie & Kaege

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, your experience of Africa sounds just like I had imagined! Keep up the good work on learning the language and helping each other stay safe!!
    Hey Katie, how does a pb&j sandwich sound now? I think about you every time I eat one!!

    ReplyDelete