Thursday, May 14, 2009

A Day in the Life


Hey guys, this is my first post so I might be going backwards a little. This is a typical day in my life here in Molepolole, Botswana:

I get up about 6 am every morning. I go to the bathroom which is outside (we have a pit latrine). Believe it or not it is very cold here at night and in the morning so I usually have to sit on my hands while I use the latrine.
Our host mother Ellen will boil watcer for us to take a bucket bath. If you have never been fortunate to take a bucket bath, here is how it goes. The bucket is about the size of a basin you would hold beer in. You get only a few inches of water (which can make for a cold bath in the winter when most of you is not in the water). You basically clean yourself with a rag and pour clean water over you with another bucket. Washing my hair is exhausting and I feel I never have clean hair.
We sit down to a bowl of porage or "bogobe" which reminds me of Cream of Wheat but more bland. So I put sugar on it which usually invloves plucking ants out of the sugar bowl =).
We walk to class by 8 am and sit down to lots and lots of Setswana training. Some days I feel good. Other days I am holding back tears. So, there you go.
We get out of class about 4 or 5. Mondays, Tues, and Thurs we get a chance to go to the stadium. I have found it helps but is not necessary to speak the same language in order to play a game together. I have found a lovely group to play volleyball with. Everyone wants to hit so if you know how to set, it's easy to join the game. I even learned a Setswana chant.
When we return home, one of my host sisters (Thandi or Doreen) will make dinner for us. There are 2 cats that live on the compound (the Batswana don't actually have pets but just animals that are always nearby). The cats eat the leftovers. We have noticed that the cats have gained weight since we arrived...
We wash dishes outside in a wash bin with our host nephew Mompati. Mompati will turn 20 on May 29. He likes WWE wrestling. We tell him we were wrestlers in America but not the same kind. I think he likes us. We played cards with him last night: Go Fish and Crazy Eights.
I ahve noticed how amazing the Batswana can see and hear. Even the old people. There are not many lights at night so their eye sight is just amazing. Kabo and I must look silly running around with head lamps on our head.
We watch soap operas, study Setswana and go to sleep about 8 or 9. That is a day in the life...

5 comments:

  1. YOu guys are so brave!!! I would be so exhausted, physically and mentally. I can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lucas and Katie! We miss you lots!!! Thanks for sharing all your adventures with us. Maybe soon you'll be able to post some pictures so we can "OOOOhhh" and "aaahhh". We sent up a prayer for you guys last night at Home Fellowship. We think of you often and wish you the very best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. lasadi and kabo. good to see kate write comments. iwish you both the peace that time will bring because the life lession will well be worth it. i see how important the camera is in your story ,. i will send it asap when i get it love cameron

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Katie and Lucas,
    We hope you are doing well. It sounds like you are having an amazing experience! Lucas, I was glad to get a text from you the other day. We hope you continue to do well and we hope that you will pick up the language fast! Keep us updated on how things are going! Take care and we are thinking about you!

    Matt and Brittany

    ReplyDelete